James F. Painter
James F. Painter, a native of Radford, Virginia, attended Emory & Henry College from 1946-50, during which time he played for Coach Conley Snidow’s football team. Painter was a star halfback and was inducted into the Sports Hall of Fame in 1974 in recognition of his prowess on the gridiron.
Painter was a co-captain of the football team in 1948 and 1949, leading the team to the Burley and Tangerine Bowls. During the Tangerine Bowl, Painter was the team’s leading “ground gainer,” an umbrella term that was then used for combined rushing, receiving, and return yardage.
As a student, Painter was involved in Phi Gamma Phi social fraternity and Blue Key National Honor Fraternity. In addition to lettering three years in football, also lettered one year in basketball and one year in track.
Prior to attending college, Painter served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. After graduating, he worked as a teacher, coach, and administrator in Pulaski County, Radford, Martinsville, and Richmond, and received a master of education degree from Virginia Tech in 1960. Painter was a charismatic and beloved figure in his career, community, and family. His generosity of spirit led him to working with underprivileged youth and lending a hand to anyone in need.
James Painter, born on October 25, 1927, passed away at age 74 on February 6, 2002.